Filing a Work-Related Accident Report

If you get hurt on the job, it is important that you understand your state’s workers’ compensation insurance system, since it may be your only means of receiving compensation for a work-related injury. In this article, we explain the details of reporting an on-the-job injury, which is typically a prerequisite to filing a workers’ compensation claim. Immediately Make A Work Injury Accident Report If you receive a work-related injury or illness, immediately report it to your supervisor. If the injury or illness has gradually worsened over time (such as carpal tunnel syndrome), report it as soon as you think it was caused by your job. If you do not report your injury within a certain amount of time, usually within 30 days, you may lose your right to collect the workers’ compensation benefits to which you would otherwise have been entitled. What Should The Injury Accident Report Contain? Many states and employers have their own claim forms which you will need to fill out in order to requestworkers’ compensation benefits. If your employer does not give you a claim form, get one from your state’s workers’ compensation board. The workers’ compensation claim form will ask you for your personal information, as well as information about the accident. Typically, the accident report will ask you to include: the nature of the injury, including every body part affected by the injury how the accident occurred parties involved date, time, and location of the accident, and medical treatment you have undergone. After you fill out this form, give it to your employer. Make sure to keep a copy for yourself. Following Your Claim This simplest way to keep your workers’ compensation claim on track is to keep good records. Keep all of these documents organized in case you encounter a problem with your claim. Your records should include all of the following: Forms you filled out and documents received. You will receive many forms to fill out and other documents. Make sure you keep a copy of everything that you fill out or receive, including copies of the envelopes showing postmarks. Notes on how your injury affected your work. Keep track of how your injury or illness has affected your ability to work. Include such as information as whether or not it takes you longer to accomplish certain tasks. Also make note of everyone involved in your claim, the discussions you had with them, and the dates of these discussions. Medical reports. Ask your claims administrator for a copy of all medical reports. Pay stubs/checks and time sheets. Keep a copy of all of your pay stubs/checks and time sheets, from both before the accident and after, to show how your income and dates worked have been affected by your injury. Receipts for out-of-pocket costs. Save a copy of all out-of-pocket costs, such as for medicine or travel to medical appointments, so that you can later be reimbursed. What Happens After I Fill Out My Claim Form? After you fill out your claim form and give it to your employer, typically your employer will fill out the “employer” part of form and file it with a workers’ compensation claims administrator and state workers’ compensation board office. Claims administrators usually work for your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance company or, when it’s a larger employer, they work directly for the employer. After the employer files the form, the claims administrator should contact you within a reasonable time to tell you whether or not your claim has been accepted and the amount of workers’ compensation benefits you will receive.

About John Fagan

John is a Jacksonville native who grew up on the First Coast. He graduated from Bishop Kenny High School in 1975 and went to college at Florida State University where he completed a 4-year program in 3 years. John graduated from the Florida State University College of Business in 1978 and went straight into Florida State University College of Law. While in law school, John earned a position on the prestigious Law Review Board serving as its Business Editor. As a law student, John studied in the Oxford program. He also interned with the Florida Legislature working in the Florida House of Representatives Criminal Justice Committee. John was admitted to the Florida Bar in 1981. John began his legal career as a law school intern in the State Attorney's Office in Jacksonville in 1981. After his internship, legendary State Attorney Ed Austin hired John as a full-time Assistant State Attorney for the Fourth Judicial Circuit (Clay, Duval, and Nassau Counties). As a prosecutor, John tried jury and non-jury trial on charges ranging from DUI to Murder. In 1983, John moved from the State Attorney's Office to begin his career in private practice. He has practiced law for 30 years on the First Coast. For the last 20 years, John and his family have made Clay County their home. John limits his practice to personal injury and disability cases. While there are many fine attorneys in Clay County, John is one of only a few Clay County attorneys who limit their practice to personal injury and disability cases. John takes pride in helping clients resolve injury claims in ways that avoid the stress, uncertainty, and the expense of unnecessary litigation. Professional Activities John is the past President of the Clay County Bar Association and has served on the Board of the Clay County Bar Association from 2009-2013. He is an active member of the Florida Bar, and the Federal Bar of the Middle and Southern Districts of Florida. He is also a member of the American Association of Justice, the Florida Association of Justice, the National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives, and the National Organization of Veterans' Advocates. Service to the Community John is involved in the Clay County Community serving as a member and Director of the Rotary Club of Orange Park, of the Clay County Bar Association, and the Putnam County Bar Association.
This entry was posted in Articles. Bookmark the permalink.